My family loves their veggies with the one exception beetroot. So here’s a way that I found to include it in the menu.
Its a one meal soup ideal for winter nights.
Serves – 4
Soak Time – 6-7 hrs Prep Time – 20 mins Cooking Time – 45 mins
Kidney beans (Rajma) – 1/2 cup (soaked for 6-7 hrs) Olive oil – 2-3 tsp
Button Mushrooms – 5-6 Oregano – 3 tsp
Carrot – 1 (small sized ) White pepper powder – 2 tsp
Beetroot – 1 (medium sized) Water – 3-4 cups
Spring onion – 1 (with tops) Salt to taste
Broccoli – 4-5 florets
Red / Yellow bellpeppers – 1/2
Tomato – 3-4
Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Pressure cook the kidney beans and beetroot till soft.
- Excess water from the kidney beans can later be used as stock
- Blanch the tomatoes and puree them.
- Cut rest of the vegetables into medium sized cubes.
- Microwave the carrots on high with enough water for about 5-6 mins.
- In a wok add olive oil and once it is hot add crushed garlic and spring onions and saute.
- When the above have softened a little add broccoli, mushrooms and bellpeppers and cook them on medium flame till soft.
- Add the cooked beans, beetroot, carrots and tomato puree.
- Add water to get a soup consistency.
- Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Add white pepper powder and oregano and take the soup off heat.
- Serve hot.
Tip : Do not let the veggies, other than beetroot, to overcook as we want some crunch in them