A mouth watering dish from Bihar, tasted it first at a friends’s place and fell in love with it instantly.
Serves – 4 Prep Time – 20 mins Cooking time – 30 mins
- Whole wheat flour ( Atta ) – 1 cup
- Refined flour ( Maida ) – 1/2 cup
- Refined oil ( for the dough ) – 2 tbsp
- Sattu powder – 1/2 cup
- Mango / Chilly pickle in mustard oil – 2 – 3 tsp
- Mustard oil from the pickle – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead the dough
- Refined oil for frying
- In a bowl mix the whole wheat flour, maida, salt and 2 tbsp refined oil.
- Add just enough water to knead to a firm dough. Cover and keep aside.
- In a bowl add sattu powder, salt, 2-3 tsps of mashed pickle and oil from the pickle. For authentic taste use mustard oil based pickles, home made ones are the best.
- Take a walnut sized ball of dough and fashion a cup out of it.
- Place 1 tsp of the sattu mix in it and close it.
- Roll it gently so as not to break the dough covering.
- Deep fry in hot oil on a low flame.
- Serve hot with pickle.
Tip : Although sattu powder is available in the market it can be made at home too. Take roasted bengal gram ( bhuna hua chana ) also known as chutney dal as it is used in coconut chutneys. Roast it lightly with half tsp of cumin seeds ( jeera ). Powder once cool and store in an airtight bottle. The same sattu filling can be used to make paranthas for those who want to avoid fried food.