Plain tomato soup is boring so let’s give it a makeover with some fresh seasonal ingredients.
Serves 2 Prep Time 15 mins Cooking Time 30 mins
- Tomatoes – 6-8
- Spring onion – 2
- Carrot – 1 small
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Water – 3 Cups
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and chop roughly the spring onion with tops.
- Wash, quarter and de-seed the tomatoes.
- Peel, wash and cut the carrot into big chunks.
- Heat up a pressure cooker add olive oil. Saute garlic and spring onions till translucent.
- Add the cut carrot and tomatoes and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook till the vegetables are soft.
- When pressure is released from the cooker, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Using a hand blender blend the cooked vegetables.
- Pass this mixture through a sieve adding the drained water from the pressure cooker and some more water if required.
- Repeat this step 2-3 times, adding a little water each time, till you are left with a very small quantity of pulp.
- Check the consistency of the soup and adjust with more water if required.
- Add salt and bring it to a boil.
- Once it has simmered for a few minutes, take it off the flame.
- Serve hot with a dash of black pepper.
Tip : Unlike traditional tomato soup there is no need to add any sugar as carrot gives sweetness but if the tomatoes are too tart add a tsp of sugar to balance the taste.